This gallery is in addition to http://affordable-beemers.smugmug.com/Business/Ural-Sidecar-Service/DneprMcNamara/10856805_Y56n8#757426088_sZAmQ
In preparation for some engine changes in the near future, Paul Kennedy was kind enough to come down from Maine for a visit on 26/27 November and assist. There were some conflicting opinions on what clutch/flywheel arrangement would be needed in this Dnepr transmission /1983 BMW engine transplant and I decided that it was more prudent to NOT disable my Dnepr at this time and to focus on removing the 650 Ural engine from my Ural as a friend might need it for his Ural. Paul took care of a few other items for me and we had a good time. Thanks for all of your help Paul :)
April 2011: I have decided that the 09/1972 R75/5 engine will remain in the Dnepr and the 1983 R100RS engine will be installed into my Ural Tourist. Some changes being made to the Dnepr-This engine has always run rich @ full throttle. I suspect that the airbox is too small so I am replacing the Dnepr airbox w/ the correct for this engine R75/5 'clam-shell' airbox. I will also replace the single Dnepr fuel petcock w/ somthing that flows more fuel to prevent a lean condition @ full throttle. There is an enormous amount of electrical wiring changes to make along with replacing the obnoxiously loud aftermarket muffler. I also suspect that the clutch pushrod is broken and I know that the clutch is shimmed incorrectly. These transmission/clutch issues will be remedied 16 April 2011 and I expect that by 17 April the Dnepr will be back on the road, better than ever. Results: The clutch disc splines are worn out and the spring plate has previously been drilled through the center. I have a new disc coming and will change the friction disc and spring plate after the Ural is finished.
UPDATE: 07 May 2011 - The clutch no longer slips after deglazing the 'hard parts'. The egine runs much better w/ the clamshell airbox and BMW mufflers and the rig has not lost any top speed but has gained considerable bottom-end power.
UPDATE: 13 August 2011 - Last weekend I had to adjust the clutch 6 times. Today I have replaced the spring plate, friction disc and installed Richard Winter's modified clutch pushrod. An incredible difference in the way the clutch works now! Smoother, easier pull and a much better feel when engaging. Last weekend also revealed the poor flow capability of the stock Dnepr fuel petcock. The engine was starving for fuel on the interstate so I will replace the petcock w/ a high flow Pingel unit soon (changed 27 August 2011).